2016 Young Women of Distinction Recipients Announced
The Women’s Council, a Greater Rochester Chamber of Commerce affiliate, announced the recipients of its 17th annual Young Women of Distinction Awards. The scholarship program supports the Women’s Council’s mission of empowering and recognizing women at every stage of their professional careers, and its belief that young women with promise today will become tomorrow’s leaders.
The recipients represent four categories of schools:
- Aleah Adams – School of the Arts - CITY
- Rebecca Nungesser – Penfield High School - MONROE COUNTY EAST
- Bailey Reed – Honeoye Falls-Lima High School - REGIONAL
- Jenny Yau – Churchville-Chili Senior High School - MONROE COUNTY WEST
The four recipients, selected from a group of 20 finalists, received a $2,000 scholarship and an opportunity for a paid internship at an area company. All 20 finalists receive the opportunity to participate in a young women’s leadership course.
The other finalists included:
- Yafresi Belliard, East High School
- Jessica Biller, Webster Schroeder High School
- Leah Cooney, Webster Thomas High School
- Natalie Costanza, Penfield High School
- Anna Fish, Fairport High School
- Caroline Fjermedal, Our Lady of Mercy High School
- Michelle Garrett, Churchville-Chili High School
- Jenna Kay, Penfield High School
- Bridgette Merriman, Penfield High School
- Katherine Ramsey, Webster Schroeder High School
- Alicia Reuscher, Geneva High School
- Kayla Rizzo, Rochester Early College High School
- Elizabeth Vinton, Brighton High School
- Leanne Walker, Churchville-Chili High School
- Ohanna Wang, Penfield High School
- Adrianna Wellin, Churchville-Chili High School
Modeled after the ATHENA Award, the Young Women of Distinction program is designed to recognize high school seniors who have displayed outstanding leadership, academic excellence, and involvement in the nine-county Rochester region. 2016 ATHENA Award recipient, Center for Youth Executive Director Elaine Spaull, and 2016 ATHENA Young Professional Award recipient, Trevett Cristo Salzer & Andolina legal partner Melanie Wolk delivered keynote remarks at the awards ceremony.
For more information on the Women’s Council and the Young Women of Distinction program, visit www.RocWomensCouncil.org.